LinkedIn: How an Incomplete Profile Hurts You

by Julie on April 15, 2009

linkedingoogle

Guest Post by Christine Pilch

Take a moment right now to Google your name. If you’re on LinkedIn, your LinkedIn profile is likely at the top of page one of the results. That’s how powerful and significant LinkedIn has become online.

Think of your LinkedIn profile as a super high-test version of your resume that is available 24/7/365 for the whole world to see. It can paint you in the best possible light and open doors if you are willing to devote the time and attention to developing a profile that employers and those looking for vendors and will find attractive.

So why on Earth would anybody not take the time to fill out their LinkedIn profile completely? Perhaps 50% of those currently on LinkedIn haven’t though. Why not? When I look at a profile that simply lists the company somebody works for and their title, with no details about skills, past employment, education and interests, I think, “This person isn’t serious about LinkedIn.”

Now consider that if 50% of the estimated 11 million LinkedIn users have taken the time to complete their profiles, that’s a lot of prospective hiring managers to potentially impress or not. Can you afford to take the chance?

Christine Pilch is a partner with Grow My Company and a social media marketing strategist. She trains clients to utilize LinkedIn, Twitter and other social media tools to grow their businesses, and she collaborates with professional service firms to get results through innovative brand strategies. 413-537-2474; linkedin.com/in/christinepilch; twitter.com/ChristinePilch; GrowMyCo.com; “Miracle Growth for Your Company.”

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Pamela Kramer April 15, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Well that was a fun exercise! My LI was the fourth item I found in my results. My blog was first.

2 Anne April 15, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Once you have a good profile on one site, it seems pretty easy to tailor for any additional ones….I really like using LinkedIn and do agree that a full profile is invaluable!

3 Mark Sherrick April 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm

My linkedin was number two. My blogs, and several other community membership pages were up there as well.

About getting recommendations on linkedin…I have a small network and many of them didn’t actually do any official work with me, or schooling, either. How do I go about asking for recommendations for that? Apparently, that is just about the last thing I have left for a truly completed profile now, is a recommendation or two.

4 julie April 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Hi Mark…all of your comments are so appreciated! If you don’t currently have people in your network that have worked with you, I would search for those people – add them to your network and then send them individualized notes asking them to provide a recommendation – and offer to do the same for them. Remember you are in control of your LinkedIn network – build it how you want to!

5 Barbara April 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Agreed that you should always complete your profiles. You never know what will pop up. If you don’t have many profiles on the web, something as simple as a blog comment you left with your name on it could appear in the serps. Not so good unless it was a great comment. 😉

6 Janine (@twincident) April 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm

I had no idea LinkedIn was so powerful. I need to finish my profile I guess. Thanks!