Using Twitter to Promote Your Web Site or Blog

by Julie on June 17, 2009

greenie1Guest post by Michelle Minch

I recently read a post by Daniel Scocco on his blog Daily Blog Tips, Is Twitter the New Digg? An important bit of information I took away was that Darren Rowse published a guest post by Alexander Moya Barquero on his blog TwiTips which got Tweeted, and then Re-Tweeted about 1,200 times. Based upon Bit.ly statistics, Darren got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 visitors to that post from Twitter. That was just from Bit.ly and doesn’t include any other URL shortener used on Twitter.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t get anywhere near 50,000 visitors to my web site, MovingMountainsDesign.com. Before I discovered Twitter, 20 visitors was a good day. Then I started “Tweeting my posts”. I wrote a brief, pithy description of the post and a shortened Bit.ly URL all in 140 characters or less. Suddenly, my visitor count started to climb and I was up to 90 or 100 visitors per day. Holy Jamoley, that’s, like, 3,000 visitors per month, 36,000 visitors per year!

Then I tried an experiment. I stopped “Tweeting my posts” for 10 days. My numbers dropped down to 30 or 40 per day. Still better than before, but not great. I started “Tweeting my posts” again and the number of visitors climbed back up to the 90-100 range. My best day so far has been 140 visitors.

Here are a few tips for “tweeting your posts”:

• Don’t get spammy about it. The fastest way to lose readers (and Twitter followers) is to “Tweet your post” every 15 minutes. 5 times per day is probably plenty.
  • Write a compelling lead in to make people want to click on the link you provide – all in 140 characters (including the shortened URL).
  • Its OK to Tweet older posts or pages on your web site or blog if you think they didn’t get enough attention pre-Twitter
  • Include a way to allow your readers to easily Re-Tweet your posts. My web site is built on a Word Press platform and I use a plug-in called Add To Any.
  • Re-Tweet other’s posts. They’ll be more likely to Tweet yours.

How have you used Twitter to promote your blog or web site?

Michelle Minch writes on her home staging and interior design web site/blog MovingMountainsDesign.com. You can follow her on Twitter @HomeStagingPro.

Image credit: atbaker

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Laura June 17, 2009 at 10:56 am

I don’t use Twitter to toot my blogs. I find this really annoying. I’m surprised you recommend people tweeting their posts 5 times a day. I’d delete anyone who did that for sure. I use Twitter to talk to real people. I don’t want a bunch of commercial posts to weed through.

2 Julie June 17, 2009 at 11:02 am

Everyone has their own way of doing this – and receiving it. 5 x a day is Michelle’s (or not – she said that was ‘plenty’ but didn’t advocate for that). I know that some Twitter ‘greats’ like @unmarketing do tweet a post several times throughout the day – and this makes sense given the number of followers and the frequency of their tweets. Also, it’s a good idea to take into account time differences – you get a very different crowd at 7 a.m versus noon versus 9 p.m.

Personally, I usually tweet about a post once. If I really want to share the info, I’ll post it again but hours and hours later. If I see someone tweeting the same thing within the same page – I’m likely to unfollow.

Another thing to take into consideration, numbers. When I first started and was following less than 100 people, I was able to literally hang on their every tweet. In that case, it was really easy for me to identify and be annoyed by someone that tweeted their own post several times.

But now, I’m following over 6K – and I end up just getting snippits of their stream – quite frankly, I hope they do tweet about their posts more than once because it increases the chances that I’ll see it…and I find the BEST blogs that way…

3 Michelle Minch June 17, 2009 at 11:37 am

Laura: Different strokes for different folks. I don’t have a problem with people who tweet their posts every 2 or 3 hours. As Julie said, different people are on Twitter different times during the day. I also change up my intro each time to keep it fresh. I’m on Twitter for both business and personal networking. I don’t think the two are exclusive.

My post was about how to drive traffic to a blog or web site using Twitter. I have had great success with it and I wanted to share that information with SocMedia 101 readers.

4 Terrie Leighton June 17, 2009 at 11:52 am

Julie ~ So much to learn about twitter! It makes total sense to add your posts to twitter more than once, it actually never occurred to me. But I do agree that posting it to much, to often, would be annoying!

BTW, I just stumpled across your new SocMedia 101 site and I love it!

5 Ron June 18, 2009 at 8:13 am

To me it’s about finding the right balance. If you all do is tweet about your latest blog posts, you’re going to lose people really fast. You have to remember the social in social media. This is about engagement, about give and take. Tell the world a little about you, share links you find interesting, retweet tweets you like, socialize. It’s all about give and take and being a good member of the community. If you can find that balance, nobody is going to care you post about your latest work (in fact, I think most people expect it), but that can’t be all you do.

6 Alexander Moya B. June 23, 2009 at 2:20 am

I’m very exited by the amount of RTs that post had on TwiTip, by what I read from a comment by Darren, it seems @aplusk retweeted the link and it suddenly went viral within hours.

It show the incredible reach one single person can have in a social network like Twitter, and in just a few seconds that you last making a RT!

7 Michelle Minch June 23, 2009 at 9:24 am

Alexander: I found what happened to your guest post very inspirational. Congratulations on a well written post that got you noticed. Have you found that you are getting a lot more traffic to your site since this happened?

8 Alexander Moya B. June 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Hello Michelle, I wish that was the case, however I currently run only Spanish written blogs, and the traffic was great but not as good as had it been an English site.

However the general exposure was very very good and I’m looking forward to writing new guest posts on different subjects and places before launching an English site sometime this year.

9 Rob June 25, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Not sure where you got your statistics where 1200 tweets equals about 50,000 clicks. I have done some tests myself with 4k+ followers and get about a 0.1-0.2% click on average. If the average users or person that RT has over 500 followers you are looking at a minimum of 50,000 hits. Getting a big RT can be huge.

10 Julie June 25, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Hi Rob – Michelle can address this as well, but there’s a huge difference between having 4K followers and having 1200 actual tweets. There is no guarantee that any of the 4K will retweet. Michelle is working with 1200 actual tweets.

11 Michelle Minch June 27, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Rob: I was just quoting the statistics in the article “Is Twitter The New Digg” here http://www.dailyblogtips.com/is-twitter-the-new-digg .

12 Sunil Jain December 14, 2009 at 6:39 am

Twitter has really become a very good medium to promote our blog and websites. I really appreciate your tips!!

13 D.A. Colvin February 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for this helpful insightful article. It’s very helpful. I’m still learning how to make the most of Twitter and I’m doing my best to streamline and improve my approach and strategy. I think my biggest concern is always alienating follower and readers and either putting them off or losing their interest and attention. I write articles, prose, and e-books and my main goal is to increase blog traffic and e-book sales. My main genre is social issues and green living issues. I need to learn as much as I can. Thank you!

Warm Wishes,
D.A. Colvin

14 Loila Adler March 5, 2010 at 5:11 am

Thank you for your tips. It did work for my website too.